Home of Romanian Orthodox heads of church, this is located on Dealul Mitropoliei (Mitropoly Hill).
At the middle of the 17th century (1653) the grapevines of the country’s voivode and those of the Mitropoly’s monks covered it.
The ensemble includes the Church and Palace of the Patriarchy and the Patriarch’s Residence.
This is the spiritual center of the Romanian Orthodox Church and in consequence the most gilded church in the country.
Built in mid 17th century (1656-1658) as monastic church, it became a Metropolitan Cathedral in 1668.
Since 1925, when the Romanian Patriarchy was set up it has been a temporary Patriarchal Cathedral.
It was rehabilitated between 1932 -1935.
Rumors say it is connected underground with the Parliament Palace.
Massive pilgrimage for St. Dimitrie, Patron of Bucharest
October 26th is the day of Saint Dimitrie.
Every year, before this date the Romanian Patriarchy organizes several Christian events bringing together people from throughout the country.
The patron saint of Bucharest, Dimitrie’s earthly remains rest in the Metropolitan Church for years.
His shrine is one of the country’s most sought after pilgrimage places.
Despite the usually cold weather, about 15,000 people gather to hear the Holy Mass.
This is officiated by Patriarch and a synod of high church officials.
And the Holy Path procession with Saint Dimitrie’s relics cover the whole way to the foot of the Patriarchy Hill.
During the entire period, over 50,000 of pilgrims come here.
For our guests only: exclusive pilgrimage
The visual wonders of the Orthodox world, scattered within the incomparable splendor of Romania, can be spiced with Catholic, Muslim and Jewish inserts.
(Some gates are opened by invitation only.)
As a special guest you can benefit during several hours of: private talks, viewing of an impressive collection of precious books and world literature, service attendance, or even visits of three stars Michelin Green Guide sites and meals cooked by nuns.
Don’t let this ship sail without you. Get exclusive access now !
This was built by the architect Gheorghe Simotta between 1932-1937, on the place where Constantin Serban Cârnul built a home for the abbot of the monastery.
In 1688 Radu Leon called the monastery, the country’s mitropoly, and the old dwelling of the abbot was restored and extended.
Between 1932 and 1935, architect Gheorghe Simotta adds a body to the palace, today the main body of the palace, made up of the Throne’s Great Hall, the Patriarchate Chancelleries, the Patriarch’s apartment, and several other rooms.
According to the customs of the 17th century, the seat of legislative power was placed in the middle of a religious complex for 2 reasons.
First, the Metropolitan was by law the boyars’ president, the only citizens with the right to vote.
And second, by tradition the Metropolitan could not leave his residence.
Therefore, organizing Deputies Assembly at the Mitropoly becomes normal and some of the monks’ cells were transformed into the building of the princely divan, where the legislative sessions were held.
The plate on the Patriarchal Palace’s certifies that on January 24, 1859, within this building, the electoral assembly elected Al. I. Cuza as Prince of Wallachia this way achieving the union.
The palace served as seat of successive Romanian legislatures:
* During the Kingdom of Romania here it was the Assembly of Deputies.
* During the Communist regime it became the Palace of the Great National Assembly (Palatul Marii Adunari Nationale).
* After 1989 Revolution the Chamber of Deputies moved here.
Since 1997 when the parliamentarians vacated the palace, the owner is the Romanian Patriarchy (Patriarchate of Romanian Orthodox Church).
In the second half of the 19th century (1881) an amphitheater was added to the old princely divan.
Spacious, stylish and well-decorated it had 2 sets of private viewing boxes and one gallery.
Only few years later a similar one will be built in Berlin (within the Reichstag building, which is the German Deputies Palace).
The meeting hall had seats arranged in a semicircle in front of a tribune and on its right was the ministers’ bench.
The public could visit the palace when no sessions.
Romanian citizens could attend the sessions only if a deputy signed their entrance ticket while foreign citizens needed the signature of their country’s embassy.
Palace of the Assembly of Deputies
At the begining of the 20th century (1907) the former princely divan was replaced by the present-day palace.
The team of architect Dimitrie Maimarolu designed it in Neoclassic style with an imposing ground floor
The entrance peristyle with 6 Ionic columns and cupola are similar to those of the Romanian Athenaeum.
A golden eagle is on top of the cupola.
Palace of the Great National Assembly
During the socialist period, the edifice functioned as the headquarters of the Great National Assembly, the supreme body of state power of the Socialist Republic of Romania.
See you all back here soon for more tips, picked expressly for you.
Meanwhile feel free to address me any question you might have about Romania.
And to share this with anyone who might find it useful or interesting 😉
Happy tours !
Show some love