Which were settings for “The Brothers Bloom” (2007) with Adrien Brody and Rachel Weisz that received 3 Oscar nominations.
Genovese merchants built it around 1300 and it functioned until 1913.
Between 1850-1860, the French architect of Armenian origin Artin Aslan restored it.
CASINOOnce considered Romania's Monte Carlo and symbol of Romania’s largest harbour - Constanta - the Casino had 2 previous wood versions.
The first one, built in 1880 and destroyed by a storm, was adjacent to Genovese Lighthouse.
The first Romanian building on Black Sea shore provided panoramic view from all angles.
Captain Constantin Creanga was one of the first entrepreneurs who leased the space.
Son of Romania’s most famous writer – Ion Creanga – he was the father of Horia Creanga, the leading Romanian architect between the two world wars.
Casino’s second version built nearby, in approximately the same location as current Casino, opened its doors in 1893.
This was a place for theater shows, balls and recreation for tourists.
Captain Constantin Creanga leased the building under the condition of:
- selling “only the finest and highest quality” merchandise and
- using for light “petroleum of the best quality (…) to not produce any odor when burned”.
In 1903, local politicians wanted a modern casino like those major European casinos that inspired French Riviera.
So they chose Daniel Renard, a 32 years local Romanian architect who graduated École des Beaux-Arts in Paris.
The architect, his Art Nouveau design and foundation were replaced when supporting Liberals were removed from power.
Two years later, in 1907, all together returned and they poured the third foundation !
Thus Casino’s most recent and modern version became the most important Art Nouveau building in the country.
Raised by King Carol I for Queen Elisabeth, the Casino was inaugurated in 1910 in the presence of Prince Ferdinand.
Soon the “wedding-cake” alike building became the symbol of the city.
It also became one of the most famous establishments of its kind in Europe.
Gambling addicts from all over the world preferred its luxury and world-class gambling, coming here incognito.
Romania’s largest casino
The largest edifice of this genre in Romania offered roulette, blackjack and baccarat games.
Until 1912 many Romanian and foreign orchestras offered their services for the Casino, Constanta’s most beautiful edifice.
In 1914 it hosted the Russian Imperial Family.
That’s why, for a while, the promenade place on the seafront was named Tsar Nicolae II Boulevard.
Casino was in operation for 38 years, with interruption due to the two world wars.
In 1916 during WWI, when Germans started to bomb Constanta, the casino became hospital used by Red Cross.
The proximity of Constanta harbor targeted by Germans inevitably affected the Casino.
Initial designer Daniel Renard himself completely restored it between wars.
In 1941 during WWII, the Casino accommodated German troops.
Both Allied and Russian forces targeting the city bombed it again due to harbor vicinity.
After 1948, communists restored the abandoned and ruined Casino.
They used 100 political prisoners from White Gate jail in order to transform it into a House of Culture.
Between 1960 – 1989 it belonged to ONT Litoral (Seaside National Office of Tourism).
In 1987 during the latest major repairs, painter George Firica from Constanta painted the building walls in Art Nouveau style.
Found in an advanced state of decay, the building remaining closed since 1990.
Leased for 49 years to an Israeli company in 2007 Casino returned to local authorities more damaged than before.
In 2018, it was in top 7 most endangered sites in Europe.
Nowadays Aquarium is the former pavilion-restaurant of the Casino, built in 1912 from the initiative of Baron Edgar de Marcay.
This is highly recommended for familiarization with the inhabitants of the Black Sea and the Danube Delta (the youngest land of Europe).
A vast Persian rug furnish this mosque also known as Mahmoud II Mosque or the King’s Mosque.
It is the copy of the mosque in Konya (Anatolia) and is the largest one in Romania.
Don’t miss the chance of climb in its towering minaret that overlooks the city.
ARCHAEOLOGY AND NATIONAL HISTORY MUSEUM
Constanta city’s long history goes back over 2,000 years.
National History and Archaeology Museum, near the port, documents is as it houses:
– painted vases with black figures (VII-VI BC),
– Tanagara-type statuettes of burnt clay,
– finery collections,
– marble statues and statuettes,
– the “Glykon Snake” statue (III AD),
– copies of the famous statues “Hamangia Thinker” and “Sitting Woman” (Hamangia Culture – Neolithic Age) and
– ceramic pots of Gumelnita and Boian Culture.
ROMAN EDIFICE WITH MOSAIC (3rd-4th centuries)
Here you’ll see a still intact part of a Roman mosaic.
A team of blocks of flats workers discovered it by chance in the '50s.
After discovery, specialists’ researches continued for several years, and they raised the building hosting it now, not modified since then.
Every summer during communist era and the beginning of the ‘90s, Bucharest Art Faculty students restored the mosaic.
This edifice is the expression of the great Greco-Roman harbour city of Tomis.
Probably raised towards the end of the 2nd century AD, it was enlarged and amplified in the following centuries.
From the original 2000 sqm of mosaic pavement made about 4th century, now you can still see about 850 sqm.
Entire ensemble, with successive repairs, functioned until the beginning of the 7th century.
Terrace A represents the antique living level.
Terrace C is the warehouse-rooms level with 11 vaulted ceiling rooms and other workshop-rooms.
Merchandise storage warehouses level (terrace D, currently below sea level) is located right in front of the ancient port’s docks.
A stair with wide high limestone steps connected the terraces.
Museum arrangements house collections of merchandise from ships, found within edifice warehouses:
- marble layers,
- polychrome mosaic,
- pillar heads,
- collections of rush-candles,
- amphorae with paints and resins.
Former warehouses display epigraphic monuments discovered in different centers from Dobrogea.
FOLK ART MUSEUM
It is housing traditional clothes, textiles and household tools.
CONSTANTA ART MUSEUM
Built in 1962, it houses a representative collection of national paintings and sculptures from the Middle Ages to the present.
Museum displays paintings of the painters Theodor Aman, Nicolae Grigorescu, Stefan Luchian, Ion Andreescu, Octav Bancila and Nicolae Tonitza.
ROMANIAN NAVY MUSEUM
Hosted within the former Naval Academy, the Romanian Navy Museum founded in October 1965 is unique in Romania.
The building, which hosts a great part of the navy’s historical patrimony, is itself a declared historic monument.
ZOO & DOLPHINARIUM, PLANETARIUM
Found within Natural Science Museum Complex., this started its activity on June 1, 1972.
It is the first such museum form in Romania and the first in South-Eastern Europe at that time.
This is the cathedral where Christians find healing.
Over time many countless believers have gone to St. Pantelimon’s relics and are well-off.
Particles from the relics are also located here.
See you all back here soon for more tips, picked expressly for you.
Meanwhile feel free to address me any question you might have about Romania.
And to share this with anyone who might find it useful or interesting 😉
Happy tours !
Show some love